Wednesday, February 4, 2009

One Year Ago Today

~One year ago today we sat waiting in a small room to meet with the Ministry of Education (MOE) representative that would give us our referral.

~One year ago we saw Artem's black and white picture passed to us across the table and listened to the MOE rep tell us Artem's history.

~One year ago we made the two and a half hour drive to Fryazino, a city we had never heard of, let alone spell, to meet a child that we could potentially call our son.

~One year ago we walked up to the orphanage and saw little faces pressed up against the windows looking hopeful at us that we might be coming for them.

~One year ago we walked into a Russian orphanage and were surprised by the quiet calm the building had, as opposed to the noise and chaos we thought we'd hear.

~One year ago we sat in an office with the orphanage director listening to her read line-by-line through Artem's medical and social history while our translator tried to explain in English what all the scary sounding medical diagnosis meant.


~One year ago today I stopped breathing as we waited for the director to bring Artem into the room.

~One year ago a little boy in pink tights and green leiderhosen was brought into the office and for the first time I knew what it felt like for my heart to no longer be mine; for the child that was born in my heart was placed into my arms that day.

~One year ago today I cried tears of happiness after meeing Artem and seeing how perfect he was. All I could do was cry and kiss him over and over again and tell the orphanage director, "Thank you, he's so beautiful, thank you, thank you."

~One year ago we saw what our family would look like and understood why all the years spent trying to have a baby would prove futile despite the doctor's best efforts; because a little boy in a snow covered orphanage on the other side of the world was waiting for us.

~One year later a loving, laughing, silly, two year old fills our home with laughter and makes us wonder what life was like before we met him.

~One year later Artem has grown from the 24.75 inch baby we met in Russia to a 35 inch jumping, running, climbing, swinging, healthy-as-a-horse toddler.

~One year later we constantly ask ourselves, "Why us, what did we do to deserve Artem?" because we truly feel like we are the luckiest people in the world that won the ultimate jackpot; a healthy, happy, little boy who is obsessed with "choo choos", tractors, and currently the Chicken Dance.

It's more than we ever dreamed it could be and it all happened, one year ago today.

20 comments:

Islandmom said...

Hey, you had me crying last year too. Thank you for sharing this journey all these years with us, and for teaching me about patience.

Happy Day!

Natasha (Islandmom)

Jeanette said...

OMG! I'm sobbing! What a beautiful video to have to show Artem some day!!!

Carolynn and Steve said...

Susan,

I am so thankful for you sharing this with us. Like Natasha and Jeanette, I'm crying too. How amazing and grace-filled that moment is.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Ok you made me sob tears of joy for you then and you have again. :) Bless you Randy and Artem. I believe in my heart you were all meant to be together. What a beautiful tribute to the beginning of his life with you.

MtnGirl said...

WOW, that was a tear jerker! (in a good, hopeful way!) Artem is adorable and very blessed to have ya'll as his parents! (love the pink leggings!) What an adorable little boy and such blessed and thankful parents! WOW That was something really special to share with us. Thank you!

Mark and Sinziana said...

Congratulations on the 1 year anniversary of meeting Artem. We just went through the same special date and it is such a wonderful memory that we all have of the day when we met our sons! Continue enjoying your amazing boy!

Dede said...

Congrats! Can you believe it has been a year for all of us? It's hard to believe it was that long ago.

Kimmber said...

Susan, that was absolutely beautiful!!

I can't believe a year has past since you told of that first meeting. You absolutely deserve this happiness!

Lindsay said...

Lovely, beautiful tribute - reminds me so much of the emotions when I met Hannah.

Laura S said...

Happy Family Day! What a year its been for you guys. Congratulations to all of you.

Anonymous said...

This made me cry then and again today! Artem is so loved by you and Randy and he's always going to know that you loved him before you even brought him home! What a beautiful love story for the three of you! What a fantastic reason to celebrate!! Thank you for sharing this again.
~Lauren (annalauren)

GuinnessandKillian said...

Oh, I needed that. I feel like we're so stalled and non-moving at the moment; I know things are moving on the timeline they're supposed to, but reminders like that help so much. Thanks for sharing such a personal moment with us all!

flute4peace said...

What an amazing journey!! Add me to the camp that cried then and is crying again now!! (HFD23)

Anonymous said...

Susan, what a beautiful tribute. I don't think anyone can watch that video without crying! Warm wishes to you all on this special day.
Michelle in DXB

Anonymous said...

Susan, that is so beautiful. I can't believe it has been a year-- but it seems like he's always been a part of your family.

-Melissa/sunny-d

Alexis Jacobs said...

Happy anniversary. :-)

Anonymous said...

Susan,

I don't cry easily, but that was one tear-jerker! What a wonderful child. I am so happy for your and your wonderful family!

Helen

Anonymous said...

You had me in tears Susan! What an amazing mom you are! I know God had a plan for you and Artem proves it everyday!

Anonymous said...

I was just crying. I see that I am not the only one :) Im very happy to have met you and Artem and I look forward to reading your blogs.