Thursday, January 8, 2009

First Date Jitters

After a great 5 week stay at our home here in TX, Randy made his way back to our home in Abu Dhabi today. I wanted to do something with Artem that would be a big deal and keep his mind off Randy leaving so I got out new cookie cutters that he hadn't seen yet and made sugar cookies with him. Artem loves to bake and cook and does a great job in the kitchen. I hope to train him well and make his future wife love me even more by making him such a good cook. Hopefully I won't pass along my talent for setting off the smoke detector when dinner is done cooking. Anyone want to take a guess at what our cookies are supposed to be? Clearly I need more practice in the sugar cookie category.
Name that shape:

Artem doesn't care what shape the cookies are, they just taste oh so good.

I've got a date tomorrow, play date that is, and I've got butterflies in my tummy over it all. I love being a SAHM (stay at home mom) but I really miss the interaction I had with my colleagues when I was teaching. I have so many teacher friends and I had a pretty full social calendar. April 19th, that all came to a screeching halt and now I feel a little isolated since my teacher friends are still working and I don't have the daily interactions that I used to have. On top of that, I am a geographically single mom at different times throughout the year and that means it's just me and Artem 24/7 without a break. I knew life would be different after Artem came home but I was not able to predict how much it would impact me to go from career woman to SAHM literally overnight. I love being a mom and I know I am lucky to be able to stay home with Artem especially with the current state of our economy, but sometimes I'm desperately lonely during the day and I want to make some new friends that both Artem and I can enjoy. I took action this week and joined a local play group and tomorrow is our first outing with them. We are going to a music makers class, which is right up Artem's alley, and I've already received several sweet welcoming emails from members of the group. I hope to meet some great ladies that have children that Artem can get along with and have fun playing with them and make some new friends. Now I better get off of blogger and go plan my outfit for tomorrow; it's like the first day of school and I've got to get my pencils sharpened and my backpack ready!

9 comments:

Melissa said...

I am not sure of the identity of the cookies. lol You will have to let me know about the play group. I might be interested. You know I am quiet and dont go out looking for new friends often. Good luck with your play group tomorrow!!!

Laura S said...

Glad you found a play group...it will be good for both of you! I made up some "Mommy cards" that are like business cards with Mateo's name, my name and contact info from 123print dot com. I think it was 3.95 for 100 plus s/h and they make it so easy to give out contact info for playdates and the like.
Laura

Carey and Norman said...

Are the cookies making a train?

Have fun at your playdate! Do enjoy being a SAHM as I would love to be given that opportunity (can't sell our house). I understand your longing for adult interaction too. You can only talk Elmo and Thomas the Tank Engine for so long :o)

Anonymous said...

Melissa and I have studied your cookies and we've come up with a Christmas tree, a pumpkin, and a turkey. So what are they really?
Robin

Tiffany said...

Hey Suz! My guess is a train. It's clearly an engine, cattle car and caboose! Hahaha!

Enjoy your playdate tomorrow. It's a whole new world! Sad to hear Randy is away again. Man, that went by so quickly!

XOXO's to that little man for me.

Tiff

Carol said...

Hi Susan,
I feel the same exact way when hubby travels. I can't imagine months at a time, weeks are enough for me. Going solo this weekend and I have a son who hit 2 this week in all shapes and forms, luckily he crashed at 7:30 tonight. Have fun at play group. I need to find one of those too.

Jane and Jim said...

Yeah, about those cookies...um.... nevermind.

Artem is too cute and is getting so big.
I know you'll have fun tomorrow - Best of luck!

Dede said...

Rob & I are having a tough time identifying those cookies. He thinks one might be Nevada. I'm thinking that first one might be a foot with 4 toes.

Alexis Jacobs said...

I have been a mom for 13 years and still have no luck with sugar cookies.

Hang in there. Soon you will be meeting lots of others just like yourself. It won't always be so lonely. ((hugs))