Sunday, November 21, 2010

Teachable Moments

I read Artem one of my favorite Thanksgiving stories, "I Know An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie" and I've been working with him on noticing the details that illustrators use in their drawings.  In this particular story, the old lady comes to the house on the thinner side and by the end after eating all the items in the story, she's a rather large gal.  A couple pages into the story, I stopped to ask Artem if he noticed anything about the woman and what the illustrator might be trying to tell us with her pictures.  You can see the page below, take a good look at her.


It went something like this:

Me:  "Artem, do you see anything different about the old lady?"
Artem: *studies the picture*
Me:  "What do you think the illustrator wants you to notice about her?"
Artem:  *completely serious*
Artem:  "That she got her boobs."

How in the world do you follow up on that one?  You don't, you just nod and move on to the next page. 

6 comments:

MtnGirl said...

LOL - that is HILARIOUS! Yep, nod and turn the page!

Carla S said...

That's awesome! I agree! Just keep reading!

Heather & Chad said...

Hahaha!!!! HILARIOUS!

Boys will be boys! :)

Carrie said...

That's hysterical!!!

Tracey and Chuck said...

That is soooooooo hilarious!!! Boys will be boys!!!! LOL

Kimk said...

I am literally laughing out loud! Oh my word. I thought you might say that he thought her boobs were lopsided bcs that's what I was thinking, but his response was better!