I've accepted this fate. And I'm thinking the blame might lie with the Skittles. Artem isn't allowed to have candy but after peeing on the potty he gets one Skittle. If he poos on the potty he gets two Skittles. That part has never happened. But I'm starting to wonder if he has figured out that if he drags potty training out for several months, he's securing himself a steady supply of candy each day.
Clearly, Artem is taking a VERY relaxed approach to potty training.
And in an attempt to take me just to the edge of crazytown, I put Artem on the potty today, he gave me his usual valiant effort at a stream of pee, and off he went to retrieve his coveted award...a Skittle or as Artem calls it, a Diggle. He's had some diaper rash issues lately, so I thought I would be nice and let him run around with no diaper on so he could air out. Less than one minute later Artem came up to me and said, "Hi mama, poop!" I asked him, "Do you need to go poop?" and he told me, "Noooooo..." (voices trails off and he turns his head) and I ask him a question that I hope he's going to vehemently deny..."Did you GO poop?" to which he happily responds, "Uh Huh!!" and his face lights up with joy.
I ran to the hallway and found a lovely lump of poo in the middle of the floor and then ran to his room to see if there was more. Fortunately there wasn't any more poop but there was pee!! (thank goodness for solid surface flooring) He just went to the bathroom less than a minute prior. If I had known there was a jumper in the chute I would have put a diaper on him. I cleaned up the mess, put a diaper on Artem, and told Randy, "I can't wait to use this against him someday!"
Lesson learned today, my desire for clean, sanitary floors, trumps Artem running al naturale through the house.

10 comments:
I think I said before... There's always Depends! Seriously though, potty training is harrrrd! Chase regressed so much when we came home (he was just about to turn 4), that he was in pullups for a good 6 or 7 months until one day I finally had enough and just put him in big boy underware and let him figure it out. I made him change his own clothes everytime he had an accident and after about 4 or 5 days of changing 4 or 5 times a day, he finally got it! Yeah! And it's been smooth sailing ever since, at least in the daytime hours, nightime is a whole different story, and he'll be right there with Artem wearing pullups to his graduation!
Hey its been a while since I have commented but I thought I would just tell you that my son didn't get it until I just put him in real undies (not padded) even at night and after many accidents he caught on because he didn't like the wet feeling. we still have accidents 1-2 a week but I can handle that! he's 2 1/2 and has been diaper free for 5 months. It doesn't have to be a struggle. Get super excited when he goes. I mean go nuts, he'll love it. When he soils his undies just keep saying yuck yuck and hold your nose. He'll get it. btw, we used mini tootsie rolls so the candy thing works :)
We too had to use the real unpadded "big boy" underwear. We got some with the real cool characters on them and Ethan really loved them and after a couple accidents and the yucky feeling of the wet material, he got the idea. We are getting ready to start the potty journey w/ Aaron who right now refuses to even look at the potty. He will say pee and poo, but just is not willing to give in.....maybe candy will work for him..
Tara Smathers
My own experience: Cooper has just now started to use the potty on a regular basis (he'll be 4 in July)and as Stephanie did, we make a HUGE deal when he goes on the potty. We also made him (in a very nice way) take off his shorts & underpants, wipe himself off, put the wet clothes in the wash and put on the new clothes by himself. I think this sort of pushes the fact that he's a "big boy". He REALLY likes being a "big boy"!!
We didn't have success with Ian until it was HIS idea. It's tough! We found he liked stickers better than skittles and we had to bribe him with coins for his piggy bank to get poop on the potty. It eventually all clicked when he was about 32-33 months.
Hey Susan! It is Leslie Gilmore...mother of 4 potty trained kids! JT, my 15 year old was not ready until he was 4 and Ethan my 10 year old until close to that. Boys were MUCH harder than my girls. All of mine were fine by the time preschool came! :) You might just not worry about it for a while. JT was really smart and loved his little potty and the big potty, but they just sometimes are not ready until their little bodies tell them and they click in! This is just my advice from many days of potty training!!! Good Luck!
I feel your pain! We are in the same battle here. Everyone keeps saying to put them into real underwear so they will know they are wet. I'm like you though, I don't want soiled furniture and carpet while he figures this out. I'm thinking with the warmer weather, maybe we should all live outside for a while until he sorts this out! ;-)
Hang in there Suz!! Have you thought about making him an ol' trusty star chart? Make him earn the "diggle" by having to earn 3 or 4 stars in a row beforehand. Jack loved stickers, especially when he got to pick the color of the star and put it on himself. We hung his star chart on the bathroom door so it was always a visual reminder and hopefully motivation. We even upped the ante and let him earn toys after 6 stars. He didn't know they were toy cars from the Goodwill!
He got double stars when he went poop on the potty. That kid, literally, was poop trained in a matter of days! Honestly!
Good luck girl. Potty training is not for the faint of heart.....
you're doing great!
Tiff
Oh no! I can't believe he went poop on the floor in the couple of minutes that he didn't have a diaper on...oh my goodness. I've always heard that boys take their time with potty training, and we honestly haven't even thought twice about working on it at our house yet. I'm sure we're behind, but I don't think S is anywhere near ready. Good luck to Artem!
I see Artem as just really smart. If I knew I could get someone to cater to me and wipe my butt all day long I would have never potty trained myself...lol.
Post a Comment