While we were in Dubai we stopped at Mall of the Emirates (my favorite Dubai mall) and found some cute pictures for Artem’s room. You might remember when I showed you pictures of Artem’s room with the bright green walls. Originally I wanted to repaint it but Ondrea said it reminded her of the book “Goodnight Moon”, ‘in the great green room there was a….’ so we decided to embrace the green and decorate around it. Randy put the whole room together before we arrived and covered the ugly hard tile floors with the colorful padded squares. I still need to find some curtains and bedding, but other than that, the room is pretty much done.
So on Saturday we were all in Artem’s room and Randy was hammering the hooks into the wall. Artem and I were over 10 feet away when one of the nails broke off the hook Randy was hammering and shot clear across the room into my eye. It was so surreal, I literally could see the nail coming straight at my eye but it was like it was in slow motion and I couldn’t duck fast enough. As soon as the nail hit, it gave me this sick feeling and I got an instant headache. We found the nail on the floor so I knew it wasn’t stuck in my eye but I was in a lot of pain. I thought I just scratched it and figured a good night’s sleep would make it go away. But by the next morning I was in a lot of pain and the eye would not stop watering and when I say watering, I mean so much tearing that it was running down my face, dripping onto my arms and running down my hands when I tried to blot it.
I called Randy at work and told him to come home so he could take me to the hospital. We walked into the Ophthalmology department without an appointment at 1:05 pm. By 2:00 pm we were downstairs at the Baskin Robbins having a chocolate shake. The doctor called me back right away and looked at my eye and said I had a “cornea erosion”, basically I had a chunk missing from my cornea. She put a contact lens Band-Aid on my eye and gave me a prescription for an antibiotic and some moisture eye drops. I go back tomorrow for a follow up. The appointment cost me 50 dirham and my prescriptions cost 40 dirham, that’s under $27 US dollars for all of it AND I was at the hospital and pharmacy for less than an hour. This is the second time we have had to use the medical system here in UAE, the first was Artem’s finger, and each time we have been extremely pleased with the care we have received.
Tonight is the first night I have been able to type without my eye hurting and tearing. My vision is still very blurry in my left eye but I’m hoping it’s just the contact Band-Aid and once the doctor removes it tomorrow, my vision will improve.
With all the different languages in UAE, the pharmacist has to have an "international" way of letting a person know how often to take the medicine. Can you see how he told me how many times a day that I need to take the medicine?
One interesting side note on my eye drama, Artem has never shown us any empathy but on Saturday when I got hurt, he was very concerned and kept trying to rub me and touch me and asking me to hold him. Since then he keeps asking me if my eye hurts and tells me he wants to give me a “tiss” (kiss) and when I bend down, he gently kisses my eye. It’s nice to see this side of Artem and see him reach this attachment milestone, even if I had to take a nail to the eye to see this side of him.



11 comments:
How scary! But I'm so glad to know that the Dr. thinks everything will be ok. And how great is it that Artem is handling this so well? Hoping that the visit with the doctor goes well and that you're on the way to a swift recovery!
I have not been to Dubai in a couple of years, but my last memory of driving there was scary. Years ago we went to Dubai from Egypt and I got lost plus ended up in a near collision. Dubai traffic makes Moscow traffic look mild don't you think?
So sorry about your eye, and glad to hear the medical care in UAE is meeting your needs.
Mall of the Emirates huh!?! Atlantis Resort!?! Sweet.
Ouch Susan...I'm glad your eye is going to be okay. What a horrible experience but that hospital bill and in/out time can't be beat! I'm glad Artem is concerned and taking good care of his Momma. Now stay away from sharp and pointy objects!
Hope you have a swift recovery. It's lovely when our kids get empathy, but yeah, a nail in the eye is a bit of a drastic way of achieving it! Hope you enjoy your photography class!
I love Artem room.
And I hope you will recovery quickly. It is nice you did not have to spend too much time int he ER. Not here in US.
Lenka
My eyes were watering reading that. I'm glad you are okay and hope your eye heals quickly. Don't "tisses" help bunches?!
A contact lens band-aid! How cool is that? I mean, aside from the whole nail-in-the-eye part of it.
Little Artem is such a sweetheart. It's nice that he wants to take care of you.
Hey, maybe you could wear an eye patch. You'd look like a pirate. It might not be much fun for you, but I'll bet Artem and your husband would be amused by it.
OUCH girl!!!!! My eyes are watering just reading about it!
Geez, I sure hope Randy took you out to dinner for that- heehee!
Artem's room is fantastic - it's so bright and fun, just perfect for the little man.
Susan, I love Artem's room! And I think Artem is one rockin' kid, too.
I saw that Palm Jumeirah had an Atlantis the other day when I was googling those man-made islands. I thought it looked amazing.
If everything is so cheap there, maybe we need to move to the UAE. 27 bucks? Awesome!
Hey girl! Hope you're feeling much better and all healed by the time to head to your photography class with uber awesome Chris!! Grant carved out a nice chunk from my cornea when he was only a couple months old. I know the pain girl. Oh, the pain and watering! It was neat that all the lights I saw had pretty little halos though. Fun side effect.
Good to hear you're settling in and getting out a bit more than your last trip. Looking forward to JUNE!!!
XOXO
Tiff
Post a Comment