He is such a happy child now, no more days spent crying from the time he wakes until he goes to bed. Truly I think he was in mourning. I think he was grieving the loss of his caregivers that he had spent so much time with since he was a baby. He's still not a morning person like his brother who wakes up happy and chatty, but I'm not a morning person either so I get Andrik and his slow-to-wake morning persona. At least now he's only crabby for a couple minutes after waking rather than all day long.
He's an okay eater, not great, but definitely not the worst I've seen either. He's still pretty messy when he eats. I refer to his breakfast as "wearable art" since he ends up with food all over his face, hair, ears, eyelids, forehead, etc and that's with me sitting next to him supervising. He's only put on two pounds since August and grew just under two inches but at 26 pounds and 33 1/4 inches tall he's only in the 18th % for weight and the 9th % for height.
All of his blood work came back great when his pediatrician ran all the tests last month. He didn't show any signs of malnutrition but he had 11 vaccinations to catch up on. I decided to have them spaced out rather than get them all at once and the doctor wants to see him one more time before we leave for UAE to see how his growth chart is progressing but otherwise, he is the picture of good health. The only health issue we are dealing with is the bald spot on top of his head. Since he's been home his hair has become very soft and shiny but he has absolutely no hair growth on his bald spot which is about an inch long. My hair dresser and his doctor have both said it looks like alopecia and Andrik has an appointment with a dermatologist to get to the root of the problem. (hardy har har) January 31st is the soonest we can get in to see the dermatologist so it looks like he'll be working that comb-over hair style for a little while longer.
A few other updates:
* Andrik is now a super napper! The boy who used to nap for 10 minutes now regularly takes 2-3 hour naps and no longer has his full scale atomic meltdowns in the afternoons.
* Bella LOVES Andrik and seeks him out throughout the day versus hiding from Artem. Artem is really good with Bella so I don't know why Bella tries to avoid him but she constantly comes to Andrik and puts her head in his lap for him to pet her. Andrik scratches her behind her ears and Bella makes this moaning-snorting sound of pleasure while Andrik scratches her. It's hilarious.
* Andrik is really funny and likes making us laugh. Right now his favorite thing to do is hide behind the shower curtain and yell "boo". But what the boy hasn't figured out yet, is he's supposed to jump out and yell "boo" not just stand behind it yelling "boo". His timing might be off but he keeps us in stitches all the time and I can't help but wonder if his caregivers in the orphanage ever got to see that side of him.
* Andrik's speech is coming along great! He's literally adding a new word every day or two. And he constantly puts two and three word sentences together. Last night we were reading a story with a spider that you put your finger inside and wiggle around through the middle of the book. At the very end, I tucked the spider inside the book and Andrik put his hands in the air and asked, "air it go?" (Where it go?) He chatters up a storm and has so much to say, and half of the time I don't know what he's saying, but his articulation is getting better and better each week.
* Andrik is super ticklish especially his feet and every night in the bathtub he squeals with laughter just from me washing his feet. And just pretending like you are going to tickle him without even touching him puts him in screaming fits on the floor.
But right now I think my favorite thing about Andrik is he's a cuddler, a big time cuddler and he will sit for time on end in my lap on the rocking chair letting me rub his back or scratch the back of his head. He strokes my arm or leg while we are rocking and will turn and give me unsolicited kisses while we rock together. He really is a very sweet and loving child. And back in October I truly had no idea I would see this side of Andrik and grow to love him as much as I do now.

16 comments:
I'm glad to hear things are going so well with Andrik now. Your boys are absolutely adorable and I enjoy reading your updates.
Susan- I just loved reading this update! Especially how he is a cuddler. That must be so sweet for you as his mama!
Just read your post on the adoption blog - I'm so sorry you had such a hard time with Andrik's transition, but congratualtions on how far you have come together.
Lovely!! I love his little voice.
X
Robyn
So glad Andrik is doing so well!
That is SO good to hear! We are getting ready to go pick up our almost 2 year old on the 18th. We leave today to go for court...and now that I am no longer worrying over when our court date will be, I'm worrying over how to get our boy to adjust to us. I am so thankful you put both this post, and your October one out there, so we could get an accurate picture of what possibly to expect. I welcome any "adjusment" and bonding strategies you might be willing to pass along! sonflowerjax@comcast.net -Liz :)
Awesome post. Patience is the key and just love. I'm so glad it's all worked out!
It's so great to hear this! Andrik sounds like a sweetheart!
Oh, yay!! So glad to hear things are going well. It sounds like you are doing a great job!
I would love to see a post on things you've done/what's worked for you to get him transitioned into a good sleeper!
What a wonderful, wonderful update! I'm soo happy to read how far the two of you have come in such a short time. Andrik sounds like a joy and a delightful child to be around! I'm so happy for you!
It's so good to hear that Andrik is happy.Your boys seem to be doing so well together. You are a wonderful mom, Susan.
Susan, Andrik is so sweet and that smile melts the heart. Your patience while he was struggling or grieving as you suspect is really paying off for you. It amazes me how quickly the 2 boys are playing together. My Dr. always reminded me of sibling rivalry.
Beautiful update :-)
This was a wonderful, beautiful update. I have thought about you a lot since that October post, and this update just warms my heart :) I am sure it was heartbraking for little Andrik to suddently be seperated from everything he used to know, but your determination to show him love and be a mother to him, gave him the comfort he needed to turn into this cute little boy you just told us about. (((hugs)))
Awwwww!!!! He's such a cutie and my heart melts to hear how wonderful things are with him now. He's such a blessed little boy and it sounds like the blessings keep on a comin' in the form of unconditional love from him. There's nothing like a snuggly lil' guy. Our Grant is just like that. And throughout the day will seek me out just to bear hug whatever body part he gets to first and lay say, "I just wub you so much, mommy!". Gooey goo goes the momma's heart!
So happy for you, Suz!!!
I was having such a ho-hum day. Finding this update just made it all so much better. Thank you for the smile. I'm so happy your family is doing so well.
Post a Comment