Friday, August 28, 2009

A Week of Firsts

You probably want an update about Preschool huh? It got a little better but I am no where close to being comfortable with our decision to put Artem in Preschool. I incorporated many of the ideas that you guys suggested, thank you! And we were already doing several of the ideas you had suggested but Preschool has still proved to be very difficult for Artem.

On his first day he cried all day long, didn't use the restroom the entire time and by the end of the day was raspy sounding, puffy eyed, and had only slept for twenty minutes. His second day he cried at drop off, only ate one fourth of his sandwich, cried at pickup, and didn't sleep at all. By the morning of the third day he started crying when he woke up in the morning saying he didn't want to go to school and screamed when we walked out of the classroom at dropoff. His eyes had red rings around them and Randy and I made the decision to pick him up at noon and let him take a nap in his own room.
I don't think the teacher thought we were making the right decision but I had to go with my mommy gut on it. We are the only parents walking a screaming child into the school and we want to make the transition to Preschool a pleasant one; not traumatic.

The teachers tell me over and over again that he just needs time to adjust. I know this, I was a teacher, I know the standard answer we give to parents when their children have a tough time with school. But I need to know more...does he smile at school? Does he interact with anyone? Does he talk to his teachers? I need to hear more than, "He's going to need more time."

When we picked Artem up from school on Thursday he kissed and hugged both of his teachers goodbye and told us with a smile on his face that he liked school. His teacher told me he had a better day, still cried a lot but at one point he walked up to another student that was crying and wiped the boy's tears from his face. He had chapel that day and his teacher said he folded his hands and said his prayers like they asked him to do. Those are the kinds of things I need to hear, I need to know Artem is having good moments like that and it made me feel a little better.
We brought Artem home at noon and he took a two hour nap and caught up on some of his sleep. After his nap, we decided to head out to the lake and have some fun after the stress of the week. Artem had his first ride on our Waverunner this week and LOVED it. He was so cute in his life jacket and goggles. He was cautious but wasn't afraid to be on the water. He held on tight, but by the second day he was steering the Waverunner and even jumped off of it into the lake for a swim with mama.

I refer to our Waverunner as "Testosterone on Water". It's fast, really, really fast.

First time on the Waverunner.

Randy and his father constructed a ladder ball game this week. (I'm giving you the Rated G version of what that game is really called.) Randy taught Artem how to play the game, and after cracking himself on the head a few times, he figured out how to gently throw the ball. He caught on quick and his celebrations turned more enthusiastic as the game went on.

Ladder Ball


Tossing the ball.

Gracious winner celebrating his victory...

...beginning to gloat...


...and now fully rubbing it in our faces that he ROCKS at ladder ball!


12 comments:

MtnGirl said...

Susan, if your mommy gut says Artem is not ready for preschool, it is OKAY to take him out. I'd be worried too if he started crying when he woke up and didn't sleep. He might just need more mommy time before he starts school. And the teacher side of me says, yea, he might be fine with a little more time, but?! I say listen to Artem and yourselves..... :-)

Jeanette said...

I feel so bad for all of you. It is so difficult to see your child so scared and upset. Does the school have a half day program? My kids always did a 2 1/2 hour day at preschool. Maybe it is just too much time away. You did see some glimmers of hope, so I''m sure another week or so he will be adjusting well.
The pics of him in his cowboy hat are hysterical!!!!! He is such a doll! Great photography!

Heather Brandt said...

I think my son is younger than yours (he turned 2 in April). I do preschool activities with him at home and he socializes with other kids through play dates, church and playing with neighborhood kids. As a former teacher, I feel like I can figure out preschool appropriate activities for him while keeping him at home. It has worked for us and he is doing well with attaching to us (he's been home since Christmas time). I get lots of preschool ideas at http://lapbooksbycarisa.homestead.com/TotSchool.html. I also love the Itty Bitty Bookworm curriculum and am using parts of it.

Praying that God gives you peace and wisdom in deciding whether or not to keep Artem in the preschool program or not.
Heather
www.russianblessings.wordpress.com

Lindsay said...

I'm so glad that you were able to see Artem hugging his teachers and hear about him having some good times too. I hope next week goes better for you and the little guy.

RandiFayPayton said...

okay first off..LMAO at the gloating! That really made me giggle out loud! He is SO cute!

Sounds like things are going better at preschool. I agree with previous posters, if you honestly feel like you'd rather him not go, then follow your gut! On the other hand, don't be afraid to ask his teachers how he did and all those details you need. You are the mama after all. Well, you know that, you were a teacher...I'll hush :P

I love the last preschool I used, they had daily sheets that came home and the teacher was wonderful about packing in the details of the day!It helped me tons the first few weeks! I bet by the end of next week it will be much better.

Going back to peek at the gloating pic again...too darn cute!

Kami said...

Aww, poor sweet Artem! I am sorry he is having such a tough time with adjusting to preschool. J did that for about two weeks, but only when I dropped him off. He wouldn't nap during the day either and would come home SO overstimulated. After he was home with me this summer, he ended up going to a new preschool where the ladies who take care of him are FANTASTIC, are willing to go the extra mile for him concerning his adoptive background and go so far as to rock him to sleep. I also send with him one of my winter vests that smells like me to hold on to and he loves it. He loves the school he is at now and will get excited when we pull up to it and even talks about his teachers when we come home. It takes time and I know it is the hardest thing in the world to see your baby crying. You might try half days for a few weeks and see what that does. I had to do that with J after this summer and it worked like a charm. Another thing that helps J is the song "My Mommy Comes Back" by Hap Palmer. You can get the download off of Amazon.com. Hang in there..hugs coming your way!

Mandy @ The Party of 3 said...

Hope your lil guy has a better week:) You were so right by your mommy gut we really do know best!

Alexis Jacobs said...

I am glad that school is getting better. We have a ladder ball set too! However we call it hillbilly golf :-)

Laura S said...

Sounds like you made a little progress last week. Don't be afraid to slow the transition process down some. We did a couple of weeks of half days leading up to the full days. To me half days are a great way to transition them. Pick him up before nap time for a little while, then after nap time and eventually go the full day.

Love the pictures with the hat!

Dana and Scott said...

Susan-
Sorry to hear about your week. I really am feeling for you. It is never easy to leave our little ones with such strong emotions:( I agree with above posters, trust your gut because in the end you know your boy better than anybody else! Maybe Jan. will bring some change. My unwanted 2 cents: I would give it one more week or even two and I know IT FEELS LIKE ETERNITY... Either way you will make the right decision and the best choice for him because you are a super mom!
Dana

Anonymous said...

I'm just someone who stumbled upon your blog months ago and enjoy reading your adventures with your beautiful little boy. My son, an only child, is now 20 years old and on one of my first days back to work part-time he pointed his little finger at me and said "don't you go to work." It broke my heart, even though he was going to be at his best friend's house for the afternoon. My feeling is that if you don't need the pre-school for a daycare situation, Artem might be better off in a Mother's morning out program for a day or two a week. Or maybe a play group to socialize. To me, an all day program is just too much at his young age. Is he even 3 years old yet? Goodness, he'll be in school long enough - let him enjoy being with his mommy. You need to enjoy it too - even though you hear it all the time - they grow up so fast. I apologize for going on and on. I just want to let you know that you are a gifted writer and I truly enjoy your blog.

Carey and Norman said...

Wow, aren't they two peas in a pod! Like father, like son....too cute!